Monday, August 18, 2008

Breaking the Bank - London

As if I didn't spend enough money on my haphazard trip to Ludlow, London turned out to be the most expensive part of my trip, and it was only 2 days!

Happily, I managed to get a youth rail card in Ludlow, so the train ride down was only about 20£ (if you click the link, note that I left England on the 1st of August, and look when the dollar starts surging... coincidence?). Tickets for the underground cost more money, and then we got to the hostel and it turned out to cost twice what I had expected; The cost I was thinking was per person, not total :-(.

Despite the fact that our train was an hour late, we got there pretty early and weren't able to check in right away, so we grabbed lunch at a local pub... probably my cheapest meal there. After that, we were able to check in, and headed down to one of London's many parks to wile away the afternoon.





That night we grabbed dinner at a pub with Kate's boyfriend Ben, his brother, and a random US Airforce pilot on his way back from delivering an F-16 to Pakistan.



The next day we saw several typical touristy London sights such as Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Big Ben/Parliament, and Buckingham Palace.






We also got to go to the Natural History Museum, where they give Darwin the respect he deserves, unlike the clowns in this country.



We finished off the London experience by catching a production of Les Miserables.



The next morning I caught a ridiculously early flight home to LAX via Dublin. The lay-over was about 3 hours, so I figured I had plenty of time... I was wrong. US customs and Immigration has a station at that air-port which is remarkably inefficient. It took about 2 1/2 hours to clear, and I had to run to another plane.

Thus concludes my European adventures.

No comments: