Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I will be Duke

All the pictures here.

On Sunday, after a romp in the Emme (see below) I left my Aunt Karin's house in Lützelflüh to go stay with my Gotti (God-mother) Lisbeth back in Niederlenz, in Canton Aargau. We went to a little bar in the middle of a field to watch the final match of the Euro-cup, where Spain won over Germany 1-0. The weather taunted me then and again last night with the promise of a thunderstorm, but apparently Odin isn't feeling generous. I only saw a few flashes of lightning and a few raindrops.

On Monday, with my cousin Tanja as my guide, we tried to take a look at Schloss Wildegg (castle at the edge of the wild). Unfortunately, it was closed on Mondays, so we couldn't go inside, but I got some pictures anyway.


On tuesday we decided to stop by some old roman ruins.

They weren't very impressive, but it was a beautiful day and it was a very nice walk through the grounds of an asylum for crazy people



Tuesday we did some shopping in Aarau, the capital of the Canton (it get's its name from being on the Aare river), ate some crepes, and found a tower that just looked like it wanted to be climbed.


From there, my cousin took me to a castle I had seen from the highway on the way to Niederlenz. Aarburg (castle on the Aare) is currently being used as a School for troubled teens (basically a Juvenile hall). Apparently, they hosted a reality show (link in german only) in which girls came and sang in a choir with these boys. It's all very fascinating, but this castle is just awesome. I was trying to figure out what sort of crime I could commit so that I could live there, but apparently I'm too old. Then my cousin and I devised a plan in which we will lease the castle from the government and turn it into a world class research institute (I should have the clout after i get my Nobel right?). I will be the dean of this school (and get to live in the castle... which is really the whole point) and be called the Duke.

It sounds silly, I know, but it will happen. Just wait and see.

Today was just to relax and prepare for the main part of my trip (the part where I have to fend for myself). I changed most of my Swiss Francs to Euros, and began packing and re-packing my bag, so I can actually remember where things are without emptying it all over the floor. I meet my parents in Vienna tomorrow, and from there Budapest and beyond.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i will be queen of norway - we'll see who becomes it first!

Unknown said...

Well, Boston has seen PLENTY of thunderstorms/downpours (many of which occured while I was stuck outside somewhere) in the past several weeks. Didn't interfere with fireworks last night though, thankfully :) Also -- finished Wolves of the Calla the other day! My goal is to finish the entire series just in time for September 1, so I have to carefully pace myself now...get ready to discuss!

Hope you had a great semi-nonexistent 4th of July :)