Thursday, July 17, 2008

Swindlers and Sea Urchins

Split is nice, but after the sheer magnificence of Plitvice, it was a bit difficult to appreciate the beauty mere man can create. I checked out Diocletian's Palace, one of the largest preserved vestiges of the Roman empire, which is now just narrow streets lined with shops surrounded by an old wall.




Outside the main gate, there is a statue of Gregory of Nin. Supposedly, you can get a wish granted if you make it while rubbing his toe, and that part of the statue is polished to a shine.



My last day in Split, I took a day trip to the nearby island of Brač with a couple guys I met in the hostel. We rented a scooter and a quad and drove around the island looking for beaches. It was a lot of fun, and it would have been nice to have the whole day there, but we got a late start because we were searching for a sailboat.



(I relied mostly on them taking pictures, but for some reason my computer wouldn't read his data card so I'll have to wait to get them).

The following day I headed off to Hvar. It was a lovely little town with not a lot to see, but beautiful weather and some nice beaches. A lot of the beaches are rocky, and a few feet out into the water there are copious sea urchins, but the water is so clear you can see them and avoid them (and I wore my sandals into the water anyway).




Unfortunately, my experience on Hvar was spoiled by my messed up hostel situation, and I cut my stay to 2 nights. I booked a place called CroParadise, but the directions were really bad, and I had to call someone to come pick me up in the main square, then I was driven off to the location. It was not as advertised. There was no internet, no ocean view, and it was about 15 minutes from the beach (it was advertised as 100m from the water).

Turns out, they over-book the main location and just shuttle people to alternate properties without actually telling you what is going on. The only reason I found out is because I noticed the pictures didn't match up. I was pretty irate, and I ended up bitching out the owner and getting a %20 discount. I almost left without paying, but the woman caught me with my massive backpack on. Bastards.

Oh well, I'm back in Split now and will catch a bus to Dubrovnik.

1 comment:

MAGEHU said...

hey kevin its see that you have fun.
I know my englisch is not so good :-)

I miss you
see you
Marius