Sunday, June 29, 2008

I ate a piece of parsley

I'm pretty sure it was just supposed to be garnish for my 3 pieces Nürnburger sausages and sauerkraut, but since I hadn't eaten anything green since arriving 3 days before, I thought it might be prudent. It's amazing how much the body can crave veggies when it's not getting any.

Yesterday, i went with my grandfather and two cousins to Bern, the capitol of Switzerland. One of my favorite things about the city is the many beatiful fountains that adorn its streets

Unfortunately, my favorite one of all, the kindlifresserbrunnen (Eater of small children-fountain) was boarded up, probably to do some restoration.


We also got to swing by the Zytglogge, a Medieval clock tower built in the 13th century. It's pretty neat just to look at, but at noon there's a fancy bit of clock-work action and the gold man on the top bangs the bell. This sight always brings a hoard of tourists, but I was able to sit up on an electrical transformer box or something and take a couple of grainy, jerky videos using my camera.

After that, we headed over to the Münster church, a gorgeous Gothic structure, with an amazing piece of artwork at the entrance that depicts the last judgment. We payed 5 francs for the privilege of walking up 343 steps (each about 6 inches high) to the top ramparts, but from the top we were rewarded with an exquisite view of the town and surrounding country side.


Question: for the 4 of you that are actually reading this thing, do you like that I add all these links? Do you actually click on them?

4 comments:

Hillarie said...

I like the links... I have only explored a few, but I can totally see wasting a chunk of time at work looking at them all!
I hope everything is going!

Anonymous said...

i read absolutely everything and explore every single link (or will zithin the days to come)
:)

Anonymous said...

not zithin but within!
bloody norwegian keyboard...
look at the wonderful scandinavian letters:
ååå øøø æ æ æ :)

Denny and Birgit said...

we love your links and blog. Did grossaetti go up to the tower with you? When I was going to school in Bern, on rainy days my friends and I would run to the tower, all the way up and down and back to school during our 2 hour lunch period. To get to the very top, you had to pay 2 franks once you were about 2/3 to the top.