Friday, June 27, 2008

I loves me my castles

Today took me to the old town and castle of Burgdorf. My Grandfather was my tour guide and told me all kinds of interesting facts. The original castle was built in the 11th century, and was continually modified and added onto until the late 16th century.

Apparently, it's one of the earliest castles in the country, and the same family that built it is also responsible for founding many other cities in Switzerland (including the capital city, Bern, where I'm going tomorrow).

I learned plenty of other interesting trivia, took lots of pictures, and generally reveled in the fact that I was wandering through what was essentially a Medieval town. I also got to drop by a bank and pulled out my 1700 swiss francs which, thanks to the depressed dollar, is basically $1700 (shh, don't tell any gypsies). I'm hoping that will last me at least through Budapest... provided I don't get robbed or swindled.

1 comment:

Denny and Birgit said...

or loose it.. it's a good thing we're meeting you in Vienna to give you some good mom advice.